Paper mortgage application process

Please use a paper application form only in the following scenarios


  • Porting a product
  • All RTB applications.


  • Porting a product.

If the above scenarios apply, follow these steps:

  1. Download a copy of the residential paper application form or the buy-to-let paper application form.
  2. For residential applications you must complete an affordability calculation for your clients. We assess an applicant’s borrowing ability using an affordability calculation based on their income, commitments and expenditure. This will confirm the maximum amount we will be prepared to lend. Save the affordability calculation as you will need to revisit this at a later stage.
  3. You can email your completed paper application forms to, all supporting documents (see below for full list of supporting documents) and booking and valuation fee (if applicable). Alternatively you can post your paper application form to:

    Nottingham Building Society
    Nottingham House
    3 Fulforth Street
    NG1 3DL

On receipt our lending team will assess your application. They will contact you with the name and contact details of the dedicated underwriter looking after your case and any additional requirements. They will also provide a 10-digit mortgage account number which you will need to add to your saved affordability calculation and submit so we can continue assessment of the case.

Supporting documents

With each application, please provide certified photocopies of supporting documentation, not originals:

  • Last three months' bank statements showing all transactions
  • Last three months' payslips (or two years’ accounts/accountants' certificate)
  • ID for each applicant:
    • UK or EU passport
    • UK photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
    • UK paper driving licence (full only)
    • EU national identity ID card
    • Blue badge
    • UK residence permit.

Proof of address – it is assumed that proof of address will be verified by the electoral roll search we undertake. If verification does not occur, you will be asked to submit one of the following documents:

    • UK photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
    • UK paper driving licence (full only)
    • HMRC tax code notification
    • Recent utility bill
    • Council tax bill
    • Tax credit or pension credit letter
    • Local authority tenancy agreement
    • State pension letter
    • State benefit letter.

We cannot use the same document to check the applicant's ID and their address.

If you cannot provide any of the above documents, please contact the intermediary enquiry line on 0344 481 2010 and choose option 2 to discuss further options.